Create an old feel photograph with cyanotypes



This tutorial is part of the Turn your Photos into Artwork series.


Cyanotype is a photographic printing process that gives a cyan-blue print. The process was popular in engineering circles well into the 20th century. The simple and low-cost process enabled them to produce large-scale copies of their work, referred to as blueprints.


This was a simple process allowing them to bypass the dark chamber and allowed them to do 'photocopies'.



From Wikipedia:


This effect can be reproduced in photoshop with only a few steps:

Here is my original photo:


Open your file in photoshop.

Select Image - Mode - Grayscale:

Then Image - Mode - Duotone



When prompted, click Discard colors. The duotone options box will pop up. For my color I chose Pantone 424 CVC. Then, click on the curved graph on the left of your blue color.


You can now adjust the curve to your liking. I used the settings below, giving a grayish tone to my blue color.

When your happy with your cyanotype, convert your file back in RGB mode. This will allow you to save your picture in all format (jpeg, png, etc etc).



And you're done! You can obviously crop your picture, play with brightness/contrasts, add noise for a more distress look....




Don't miss a post, a tutorial or upcoming freebies!



Filed Under: ,

About the Author

My name is Rosemarie or known as alias Rosemarie Pixel. I am a photo, digital scrapbooking, and blogging enthusiast. I created this blog in 2009 to share everything I am learning about these three new medias.

1 comment

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed


  1. Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 7 post on Oct. 28, 2009. Thanks again.

     

Leave a Reply